Saturday, May 10, 2008

My terriffic Saturday

Today I participated in the annual Susan B Komen Race for the Cure. I would not consider it a real race. Although I did more than a stroll. One of my work friends Shannon is battling breast cancer. This is the second time the cancer has returned and is in a stage 4. She is a remarkable person. So positive and happy. She is a single mom of 5. One of them a severely disabled child at our school. I admire her very much. Any way she organized a team for the race. She was able to put together a team of 61 people. Being involved was incredible. There were 17,000 people. Most of them dressed in pink. There were many with tributes to survivor friends and relatives. Many wore remembrances to family or friends who had passed away. I wore a sign in tribute to my Aunt Shirley. She is a survivor, and I am grateful for that fact! I wasn't sure about participating. My Saturdays are precious to me. But my friend Michelle and her daughter Nicole and I jumped on Trax and went downtown. You should have seen the variety of T shirt sayings. Some were very funny. All pertained to saving women and their body parts.
This was such a positive community experience that I would like my girls to join me in racing next year. I think they would really enjoy it. So Thanks Shannon!!!! You added a great memory in my memory bank.



Then to make my day even better Rob came up with the idea of going for a bike ride after he came home from work. We rode with Dan and Juanita to Leatherby's for ice cream and then all the way around the valley and home again. I have to admit that I had a sore bottom by the time we got home. But it was a blast! I am loving having the wind blow in my face and eyes. I got my eyes fixed this year and have never been able to experience that feeling without a great pain. Contacts and wind are not friends. Anyway I look forward to more of this fun with my husband.




3 comments:

Sarah E said...

I was really sad when I had to cancel on my team I was planning on running with. I think it would be fun to do it together next year. I'm glad you're liking the motorcycle more. I think it would be so fun.

Jillo said...

Mom, that sounds like a great day! Next year we are totally walking with you. I am glad you had a fun time.

Carolyn said...

High Five to you Aunt Glenna! My first 5K was for the Cure too. I got all my sisters to agree to run it with me, but then they each chickened out!!! I hope they read this! I'll have to run one with you someday.